Friday, December 17, 2010

Day Seven

Today was the first day that I didn't have much work to get accomplished. It's a good thing too because I woke up with a headache this morning. So I guess now starts the real test. Tonight is also the first holiday get together that I am missing. Our friends Mike and Melissa have had a holiday party every year since our freshman year in college. There is always a pretty funny white elephant exchange and this year I was so excited about our gift (I can't wait to hear who left the party with it!)

As I sit here intermittently checking for texts of pictures or videos from Ryan, I can't help but think about the opportunities that this bed rest is providing me the opportunity to do. For instance, I have had several nights of great sleep in a row. The flip side of that is Ryan's sleep has not been so good lately. I started reading Steven King's Dark Tower series the summer of my first year of graduate school. I can finally finish the 7th and last book. We don't officially have another bedroom in our house, so our loft is going to be transformed into a new nursery area for the baby. I have to think about way's to make it seem "walled in" when we want it to be a room and yet still open as the play area during the day. And then of course, the obvious, I've been afforded a little more time to bond with this baby. Now don't get me wrong, from the moment we knew we were expecting I was overjoyed and completely in love with this baby. But, the second pregnancy is not like the first. When you have a toddler to take care of, your every thought is not consumed with all things baby. It's like after Jack is in bed and everything else that needs to get done is done, those last few minutes before heading to sleep were the minutes devoted to imagining and dreaming about the baby. I am dreaming a lot about what our family will be like in the coming months. And getting excited to watch Jack be a big brother! In essence I have reclaimed my time from things that were consuming me and this is forcing me reevaluate to create margin in my life. I am learning to be thankful for all this extra time.

No comments:

Post a Comment